22.3.04

Taxicab confessions

Someone said once that taxi driver are different breed of people. On every altitude and longitude cabbies are perceived as
1) thieves
2) people you feel comfortable talking to about most intimate of intimate.

From time to time I travel by cab. Usually I take taxi when I'm in a hurry
or when I'm too drunk/*.* to travel by bus, or other means of transportation. And as everyone I tend to talk to drivers. Recently though I discovered that as much as I have an urge to talk to driver, so does he. For last few weeks, whenever I'm getting on a cab I wait for driver to kick off conversation. And they usually do. They just can't stand quiet customer I guess. After few blocks I hear something like 'So, how was the party, I understand you're coming home from a club', or 'How 'bout them [insert sport team name here] last match', 'ave you erd what that [insert politician name here] said/did recently? That bastard' or simply 'How 'bout weather, oh it's been raining whole morning, the road is all slippery'... Aaaand here starts the conversation.
If I don't respond or dismay them with 'I don't know/care' they usually shut up and don't bother with talking to me... but sometimes they just can't stop talking. They go on and on...
They really are different breed of people.. Really annoying one. Yet, I think you have to be in some way or the other open as a cab driver and be willing to not only listen but also eager to speak..

Brak komentarzy: